What is the Eligibility Criteria for IIT-JEE?
Every year, the National Testing Agency (NTA) administers two IIT-JEE or JEE-Advanced exams. Many consider these exams to be the most difficult entrance exams in the country. Students attempt this exam to secure themselves a seat at India’s most renowned engineering colleges. The next exam will take place in May 2021, so IIT-JEE preparation is on in full swing right now. Sadly, many students are not clear about the IIT-JEE eligibility criteria. To make things easier, we’ve created a guide that students can use to check their eligibility for JEE-Advanced exams.
Understanding the IIT-JEE Eligibility Criteria
You can check if you’re eligible for the exam by asking yourself a few questions. Let’s take a look at what they are:
1. Have I completed my class 12 exams?
To be eligible, students must have finished their class 12 exams. The Association of Indian Universities (AIU) must recognise the State or Central board exams for students to qualify. If you haven’t done this, you must have completed an equivalent, such as:
- Final exam or a two-year course in the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy
- Senior school exams conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling
- H.S.C. vocational exams recognised by the Association of Indian Universities
- General Certificate Education – Advanced level exams
- High School Certificate exam administered by Cambridge University
- International Baccalaureate Diploma provided by the International Baccalaureate Office in Geneva
- AICTE or State Board of Technical Education-recognised diplomas
2. Did I study physics, chemistry and mathematics in class 12?
If you want to attempt the IIT-JEE exam, you must have chemistry, physics and mathematics as compulsory subjects. If you don’t study any one of these in class 12, you will not be able to sit for the entrance exam.
3. Have I completed the JEE-Main exam?
To appear for the JEE-Advanced exam in 2021, you must have also completed the JEE-Main exam in the same year. Additionally, students need to obtain a certain rank in the JEE-Main to qualify. Only the top 250,000 students can attempt the IIT-JEE exam.
4. Was I born after 1st October 1996?
Students must be of a certain age to apply for the JEE-Advanced exam. Students applying for the 2021 exam must be born on or after 1st October 1996. Those who fall under the reserved category have a 5-year grace period. So, their birthday must be on or after 1st October 1991.
5. How many times have I attempted the JEE-Advanced exam previously?
It’s important to note that students can appear for the IIT-JEE exam a maximum of twice in two consecutive years. So, students who have appeared for two exams in a single year will be unable to attempt the exam the following year.
You can choose TG Campus to help you with your IIT-JEE preparation. Our esteemed faculty members are all IIT-graduates who will guide you during our two-year preparation course. We also offer crash courses and online mock test series for IIT-JEE that serve as revision in the months leading up to the exam. Our wide range of online courses has helped many students prepare for JEE and NEET despite the COVID-19 outbreak. With TG Campus, you can ace your exams and secure a seat in your preferred university.