KVPY Overview, Eligibility, Syllabus, Pattern, Registration and Exam Dates
Looking for KVPY details then you are in the right place. Get KVPY Overview, Eligibility, Registration Process, Important dates, Cutoffs, Syllabus, Pattern & Examination process information in one place.
KVPY stands for "Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana" (KVPY). This program was started by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. The sole purpose of starting the program was to encourage students who are or who wish to pursue Basic Sciences and to encourage them to take up a career in research in different branches of Science in India.
This program aims to assist students in realizing their potential and to also ensure that the students are groomed and mentored by the best scientists of the country for research and development in the country. To encourage the students, Fellowship and contingency grants are provided to a few selected KVPY Fellows till their enrolment in PhD and/or for 5 years, whichever is earlier. Apart from this, there are summer camps arranged for the KVPY Fellows in prestigious educational research institutions in the country.
The KVPY Fellowships are given to Indian Nationals for their higher studies in India though the students looking for pursuing Undergraduate programs under Distance Education or Correspondence Course are not eligible for KVPY Fellowships.
The KVPY Fellowships are granted to the successful students of three streams namely:
- (i) Stream SA
- (ii) Stream SX
- (iii) Stream SB
Stream SA is for the students who are currently enrolled in 11th across any boards in India and are from Science Stream. The students should have secured a minimum of 75% marks for General Category students and 65% Marks for Reserved Category (SC/ST/PWD), in aggregate in their Mathematics and Science subjects in their 10th Board examination in the preceding academic year, can sit for the KVPY Aptitude test. The students who are selected for the fellowship would have their fellowship activated for the Stream SA only when they join an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S.) after passing out from their Class 12th, in the forthcoming academic year. The students should have secured a minimum of 60% marks for General Category and 50% marks for Reserved Category (SC/ST/PWD) in aggregate in Science subjects in the 12th Standard Board Examination.
Students SX is for students who are currently enrolled in 12th Standard in Science Stream of Indian Boards or students currently in their 2nd year of study in Cambridge International Examination Board and would like to join undergraduate program in Basic Sciences i.e. in Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology which would lead them to get degrees in B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S. The students should have secured a minimum of 75% marks for General Category and 65% marks for Reserved Category (SC/ST/PWD) in aggregate in Mathematics and Science subjects i.e. (Physics/Chemistry/ Biology) in their 10th Board Examination, for them to appear in the KVPY Aptitude test. The students who are selected for the fellowship would have their fellowship activated for the Stream SA only when they join an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S.) after passing out from their Class 12th, in the forthcoming academic year. The students should have secured a minimum of 60% marks for General Category and 50% marks for Reserved Category (SC/ST/PWD) in aggregate in Science subjects in the 12th Standard Board Examination.
Stream SB is for those students currently enrolled in the 1st year of the Undergraduate Program in Basic Sciences namely Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics & Biology which would lead them to degrees in B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S. The students should have secured a minimum of 60% marks for General Category and 50% marks for Reserved Category (SC/ST/PWD) in aggregate in Mathematics and Science subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in their 12th Board Examination for being eligible to appear for the Aptitude test. Along with that the student in the 1st year final examination of B.Sc./B.S./B.Math./B.Stat./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S. must have secured 60% marks for General Category and 50% marks for Reserved Category (SC/ST/PWD) in aggregate before they can take up the fellowship, in case they are awarded.
- The students need to apply for the tests on an individual basis.
- The Aptitude test is Computer Based.
- The Question Paper can be answered in Hindi as well.
- The KVPY syllabus is based in Class X, XII and 1st year of the Undergraduate Science Course curriculum.
- For Stream SA students, all questions are compulsory while for Streams SB/SX, the candidates must answer any three subjects from four i.e. (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics) in Part I and two subjects in Part II. If the student attempts a greater number of sections, the best of three for Part I and the best of two for Part II would be considered.
- KVPY fellowship cannot be availed with any other scholarship.
KVPY Important Dates
|Opening of the online application portal||12th July 2021|
|The date for closing of the online application||6th September 2021|
|Last date for Payment of Application fee||9th September 2021|
|Exam Date||7th November 2021|
The KVPY Fellowship has a cutoff score which is required by the student to sit for the Interview round. The final rank is prepared based on the marks scored by the students in the aptitude test and the interview, taken together. The final rank is calculated with a 75% weightage being allotted for the aptitude test and the remaining 25% for the interview.
KVPY Cutoff score 2019
All India rank list (Cut off score for General Merit)
- SA stream - (42% and above)
- SX stream - (45% and above)
- SB stream - (40% and above)
KVPY Cutoff Score 2018
All India rank list (Cut off score for General Merit)
- SA stream - (40 % and above)
- SX stream - (40% and above)
- SB stream - (35% and above)
The students who score more than the cutoff marks are selected for the interview round. Along with clearing the cutoff marks in the Aptitude Test, the students must also clear the interview round for being eligible for the fellowship. The qualified students will get the scholarship once they fulfil the criteria for eligibility.
KVPY 2021 Application Process
Mode of Application: Online
Mode of Payment: Net Banking | Credit Card | Debit Card
IISc has released the online KVPY exam applications in September 2021 in the online mode. Students can fill the KVPY 2021 registration form by following the steps given below:
Log on to http://kvpy.iisc.ernet.in/main/applications.htm
Step 1: KVPY registration 2021- Applicants should have a valid email ID and mobile number to register for KVPY.
Step 2: Applicants have to fill in details including personal and academic. They also have to upload signature and photograph,
Step 3: Pay Application Fee - Students can pay the fees online via net banking, credit or /debit card payments.
KVPY Syllabus 2021
The syllabus of KVPY 2021 comprises topics from Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Chemistry subjects.
The students should note that there is no specific syllabus prescribed for the entrance examination. The Aptitude question paper would contain questions from Class 10th, 11th, 12th or 1st year of MS, B. Sc, Int.M.Sc, B. Stat., B. Math. or BS.
KVPY Exam Pattern 2021
Exam Pattern for SA stream
- SA stream exam would be held in the morning shift i.e. from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm.
- The examination would be conducted for 3 hours.
- The test would be conducted in two parts.
- Part I = 60 and Part II = 20 questions.
- The total number of questions in the SA stream would be 80.
- It is mandatory to attempt all questions in all the subjects.
- The questions would be in English and Hindi.
- There would be a negative marking for every wrong answer.
- In part I, each correct answer 1 mark would be awarded. For every wrong answer, 0.25 marks would be deducted.
- In part II, for every correct answer, 2 marks would be awarded while 0.5 marks would be deducted for every wrong answer.
- The total marks allotted for the question paper would be 100 with a total of 25 marks for each subject.
|No||Subject||Part I||Part II||Marks|
|1||Physics||15 Questions||5 Questions||(15 x 1) + (5 x 2) = 25|
|2||Mathematics||15 Questions||5 Questions||(15 x 1) + (5 x 2) = 25|
|3||Biology||15 Questions||5 Questions||(15 x 1) + (5 x 2) = 25|
|4||Chemistry||15 Questions||5 Questions||(15 x 1) + (5 x 2) = 25|
|Total||60 Questions||20 Questions||100 marks|
KVPY Exam Pattern For SB/SX stream
- SX/SB Stream exam would be held from 2 pm to 5 pm.
- The exam duration for the KVPY exam for SB/SX streams would be 3 hours.
- The question paper would be 160 marks.
- Part I would have 80 questions and part II would comprise 40 questions. Students need to attempt only 80 questions in total.
- Students must attempt any 3 sections from part 1 (20*3=60 marks) and any 2 sections from part 2 i.e. (20*2=40).
- In Part I of SB/SX Stream, one mark will be awarded for correct response & 0.25 marks will be deducted for an incorrect response.
- In Part II of Stream SB/ SX, for each correct response, two marks will be awarded & 0.5 marks will be deducted for the wrong answer.
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Total Marks|
|Part I||Part II|
|Physics||20||10||(20 x 1) + (10 x 2) = 40|
|Chemistry||20||10||(20 x 1) + (10 x 2) = 40|
|Mathematics||20||10||(20 x 1) + (10 x 2) = 40|
|Biology||20||10||(20 x 1) + (10 x 2) = 40|
Students who are eligible for the KVPY Aptitude Tests, across different Streams, would be called for an aptitude test which would be conducted both in Hindi and English at different centres across the country on Sunday, the 7th November 2021.
|SA/SX/SB - during 1st to 3rd year of - B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Integrated M.Sc. /M.S.||Rs. 5000||Rs. 20000|
|SA/SX/SB - during M. Sc./4th to 5th year of Integrated M.Sc. /M.S./M.Math./M.Stat.||Rs. 7000||Rs. 28000|